Saturday, November 6, 2004

Review of FFH's Still the Cross

The first time I popped in FFH's fifth album Still the Cross I only had time to listen to the first three or four songs. "Hmmm ..." I thought, "this sounds like a fun project. I think I like it." Let's just say it made a great first impression. However, upon further listen I had to recant my enthusiasm. Why? Well, for me, I thought the album sounded very familiar -- familiar in the sense that it sounded a great deal like the past four FFH releases. Additionally, the production felt almost too fun that I had a difficult time taking it seriously. And, with a title like Still the Cross it was a release I wanted to take seriously.

Despite these feelings on the project, I have to say that FFH's renewed desire to focus on the cross is encouraging and convicting. Of the release, member Michael Boggs stated, "I think it’s pretty cool that after five records and thousands of concerts, as a band we’re still committed to the same thing we were on the first record. We’ve written lots of songs and we’ve talked about a lot of different things. But when it comes down to it, it’s still all about the cross." If there is one thing to praise this album for, that's it -- it's still about the cross.

No comments:

 

Background image courtesy Squid Fingers.